A Peaceful Mind Generates Power

Norman Vincent Peale - Inspirational writer of a generation

A Peaceful Mind Generates Power, At breakfast in a hotel dining room three of us fell to discussing how well we had slept the night before, a truly momentous topic. One man complained of a sleepless night. He had tossed and turned and was about as exchausted as when he retired. "Guess I'd better stop listening to the news before going to bed,"he observed. "I tuned in last night and sure got an ear full of trouble"
That is quite a phrase, "an ear full of trouble." Little wonder he had a disturbed night. "Maybe the coffee I drank before retiring had something to do with it, " he mused.
The other man spoke up, "As for me, I had a grand night, I got my news from the evening paper and from an early broadcast and had a chance to digest it before I went to sleep. Of course," he had a chance to digest it before I went to sleep. Of course, " he continued, "I used my go-to-sleep plan which never fails to work."
I prodded him for his plan, which he explained as follows: "When I was a boy, my father, a farmer, had the habit of gathering the family in the parlor at bedtime and he read to us out of the Bible. I can hear him yet. In fact, every time I hear those Bible verses I always seem to hear them in the tone of my father's voice. After prayers I would go up to my room and sleep like a top. But when I left home I got away from the Bible reading and prayer habit.
"I must admit that for years practically the only time I ever prayed was when I got into a jam. But some months ago my wife and I, having a number of difficult problems, decided we would try it again. We found it a very helpful practice, so now every night before going to bed she and I together read the Bible and have a little session of prayer. I don't know what there is about it, but I have been sleeping better and things have improved all down the line. In fact, I find it so helpful that even out on the road, as I am now, I still read the Bible and pray. Last night I got into bed and read the 23rd Psalm. I read it out loud and it did me a lot of good."
He turned to the other man and said, "I didn't go to bed with an ear full of trouble. I went to sleep with a mind full of peace."
Well, there are two cryptic phrases for you - "an ear full of trouble" and "a mind full of peace." Which do you choose?
The essence of the secret lies in a change of mental attitude. One must learn to live on a different thought basis, and even though thought change requires effort, it is much easier than to continue living as you are. The life of strain is difficult. The life of inner peace, being harmonious and without stress, is the easiest type of existence. The chief struggle then in gaining mental peace is the effort of revamping your thinking to the relaxed attitude of acceptance of God's gift of peace.
As an illlustration of taking a relaxed attitude and therefore receiving peace, I always think of an experience in a certain city where I lectured one evening. Prior to going on the platform I was sitting backstage going over my speech when a man approached and wanted to discuss a personal problem.
I informed him that at the moment it was impossible to talk as I was just about to noticed him in the wings nervously pacing up and down, but afterward he was nowhere about. However, he had given me his card, which indicated that he was a man of considerable influence in that city.
Back at my hotel, although it was late, I was still troubled by this man so I telephoned him. He was surprised at my call and explained that he did not wait because obviously I was busy. "I just wanted you to pray with me," he said. " I thought if you would pray with me, perhaps I could get some peace."
"There is nothing to prevent us from praying together on the telephone right now," I said.
Somewhat in surprise, he replied, " I have never heard of praying on the telephone. "
"Why not?" I asked. "A telephone is simply a gadget of communication. You are some blocks from me, but by means of the telephone we are together. Besides, " I continued, " the Lord is with each of us. He is at the both ends of this line and between. He is with you and He is with me."
"All right," he conceded. " I'd like to have you pray for me." So I closed my eyes and prayed for the man over the telepone, and I prayed just as though we were in the same room. He could hear and the Lord could hear. When I finished I suggested, "Won't you pray?" There was no response. Then at the other end of the line I heard sobbing and finally, " I can't talk, " he said.
" Go on and cry for a minuete or two and then pray," I suggested.
"Simply tell the Lord everything that is bothering you. I assume this is a private line, but if not, and if anybody is listening, it won't matter. As far as anyone is concerned, we are just a couple of voices. Nobody would know it is you and I."

No comments: